Adult Acne — Is that Different?
While acne is often associated with teens, this condition is surprisingly common in adults. This often stems from a genetic predisposition. That said, poor skin care can also increase your risk of blemishes.
Blemishes on adult skin will require different treatment than teens. While many of the same techniques will be used to control these symptoms, mature skin is much more ‘susceptible’ to damage so it is important to find products that will not cause increased sensitivity and dryness while clearing away breakouts.
Causes of Adult Acne
All blemishes are caused by the pores becoming clogged with dirt, oil or dead skin cells which cause the growth of bacteria: special circumstances can also increase an adult’s likelihood of breakouts.
• Some adults suffer from an overproduction of sebum or the skin’s natural oils that are used to keep it moist, according to Web MD. This can create an attractive area for bacteria to grow, increasing your risk of inflammation.
• According to Lifescript.com Adult acne can also be caused by surprising sources. Constantly exposing your skin to items like hairspray, removing facial hair; harsh skin care products or even stress can increase your risk of experiencing blemishes.
Like teens, adults with breakouts will need to work to keep their skin clear and the oil levels balanced to better control blemishes and scarring that can stem from this condition.
An Increase in Women
According to the New York Times, acne is much more common in adult women than men, and a variety of causes can contribute to this problem.
• The NY Times notes that many women who once had flawless skin began to note breakouts when they entered their 30s.
• Classic treatments like benzoyl peroxide were found to be too harsh and actually made this problem worse.
The New York Times notes that laser or light therapies and gentle soaps and cleansers are essential to treating blemishes on adult skin, without drying the skin and causing more damage.
Applying Products to Manage Skin
Caring for the skin can help to prevent breakouts from occurring and clear away those that have already formed on the skin.
• Medline Remedy Olivamine Clear-Aid Skin Protectant can help encourage moisture and cracking that can create an area for blemishes to grow.
• Medline Remedy Phytoplex Nourishing Skin Cream can help to reinforce the skin’s natural barriers without making the skin greasy to ensure that your skin can remain healthy and blemish free.
• Cleansing the skin with Medline Remedy Olivamine Antimicrobial Cleanser will help to prevent the growth of microorganisms that can cause acne while providing the skin with nutrients it needs to stay healthy.
Breakouts on adults can often appear on the body as well as the face. These breakouts may require different treatments, based on their location. Be sure you have read the instructions on any products you use to ensure that they are safe for use on the face or strong enough to provide results on your body. While adults may find acne to be embarrassing, it is certainly manageable and can be addressed with proper medical care.