Medicare Coverage Of Ostomy Supplies
According to the United Ostomy Associations of America, Inc., ostomy is defined as a surgically created opening in the body, for facilitating the discharge of bodily wastes. There are several different types of procedures-- including temporary and permanent, which can affect the colon or large or small intestine.
According to Medline Plus, the surgery is used to treat diseases that affect the urinary or digestive system. Medicare Ostomy Supplies include a pouch which is worn outside of the body and collects fecal matter; it is often secured in place by wound care tape.
Since ostomy is deemed necessary by healthcare professionals, Medicare will often times cover both the surgery and the supplies associated.
Since ostomy is deemed medically necessary, Medicare Ostomy Supplies can be acquired relatively easy.
Here’s a breakdown of how your medical needs and supplies can be covered through Medicare:
• According to Medicare.gov, Medicare Part B covers the amount of supplies that your doctor recommends based on your condition.
• You will pay 20% of the amount approved by Medicare.
• Your Part B deductible will be applied.
• Coverage is for those who have a colostomy, ileostomy or urostomy.
Wound Care Tape
Medicare Ostomy Supplies, such as pouches, are a requirement for ostomy patients. Patients can feel secure and more discreet when the pouches are secured effectively with wound care tape. There are many available options to meet your healthcare needs.
• 3M Healthcare 3M Durapore Surgical Tape is well-suited for items like pouches. It will hold the pouch securely through its strong adhesion qualities. It is also water-resistant and hypoallergenic.
• The Original Pink Tape by Invacare Supply Group is latex free and perfect for sensitive skin. This particular tape is suited for long-wear use. It is also water-proof and can be washed.
• Reliamed Clear Surgical Tape, Latex Free by Milliken Medical is transparent, porous and water resistant. It is great for holding a pouch in place.
Medicare Ostomy Supplies help to keep ostomy patients safe, secure and confident. The price can be subsidized through Medicare, for relatively little to no payment on the patient’s behalf. These healthcare supplies can include wound care tape and even the pouches themselves. We have all of the items right here for you. You just need to pick the one you need.
Related Read: Hollister Ostomy Supplies Prices