How to Stay Healthy during the Holidays

There are barely a few days left until Christmas arrives. A very special time of the year, in which family lunches and dinners are frequent. In general, the foods we eat at Christmas have a high caloric index: nougat, roasts ... But is it possible to eat healthy at Christmas?

Although it seems an impossible mission, the truth is that yes. Yes you can eat healthy on these dates, although you should know how to do it.

How to eat healthy at Christmas?

Balanced menu

The first and most important thing is to prepare a balanced Christmas menu. What does this mean? For example, if you are going to serve a roast as a main course, avoid appetizers in saturated fats such as sausages. Opt better for a vegetable cream. Although a at first it may seem a bit strange to serve a dish of this type at Christmas Eve dinner, surely your guests thank you very much: the vegetable cream comes in handy for the body to warm up at this time of year and, In addition, it is very easy to digest. Vegetables for starters are an excellent option.

As for dessert, at this time of the year there is a tendency to abuse nougat, and pies. Why don't you prepare your own homemade fruit-based nougat? Or, if you want to give yourself a "whim", you can serve a bit of the nougat you like best accompanied by a salad.

Hydration

Like any other time of the year, hydration is one of the basic rules for healthy eating at Christmas. If you usually abuse soft drinks and sugar-rich drinks on these dates, you better forget about them. These drinks have a high caloric content and their nutritional value is practically zero. Do not forget to drink two liters of water daily. And, after lunch and dinner, nothing better than an infusion to promote digestion.

Exercise

Who said that you can't exercise at Christmas? While it is true that during the holidays the most important thing is to relax and rest, not for that reason you have to leave the sport aside. You can take advantage of these days to do outdoor family activities, such as biking or hiking. With 30 minutes a day of physical exercise is enough to keep you fit and take care of your health.

5 meals

At Christmas it is completely normal to change the daily routine schedules. But you shouldn't stop making your five daily meals. Otherwise, you will only get to the main meal with much more hunger, which carries a greater risk of "bingeing." For lunch and snack always opt for healthy snacks, such as fruit or nuts.

Food quantities

At Christmas lunches and dinners it is easy to exceed the amounts. In practically all the houses ends up leftover food. And this is precisely what you should avoid. To control the quantities, better use medium plates instead of large ones. And, above all, avoid the temptation to repeat several times. It is essential that you do not finish the food feeling you are getting soaked.

Form of preparation

Instead of eating a lot during the Christmas holidays, without thinking about the nutritional value of food, you must do just the opposite: bet on quality instead of quantity. This is one of the best tips for healthy eating at Christmas.

It favors the consumption of vegetables and proteins, and avoids the processed ones, the refined flours and the fritters. Eating healthy on these dates does not mean you can only take steamed food and vegetables. It's about setting all options and choosing a healthy, varied and balanced menu.

Alcohol

Alcohol is one of the great protagonists of the Christmas holidays, but that's not why you have to abuse it. Remember that alcoholic beverages are very caloric. Therefore, you have to drink in moderation and have a glass of water between a cup and a glass. Why don't you dare to prepare several non-alcoholic cocktails for you and your guests?

80/20 Rule

Have you ever heard of the 80/20 rule? It is a very simple rule to apply, which is that 80% of everything you drink and eat is healthy, and the remaining 20% ​​are cravings. So Christmas lunches and dinners will be much more bearable.

Nutrients

When designing the Christmas menu, you must choose foods rich in two nutrients. On the one hand, unsaturated fats of vegetable origin, such as nuts and some fish. And, on the other hand, fiber, as it favors intestinal transit and provides a feeling of satiety. Fiber is present in legumes, fruits and green leafy vegetables.