What’s the best pain relief for toothache?
The best way to get pain relief for toothache is to regularly visit a dentist. Other than that, there are several analgesic medications commonly used in just such occasions, including acetaminophen (available at Discount Medical Supplies in the form of Extra Strength Pain Relief PM by Invacare Supply Group), Tylenol, naproxen, mapap, q-pap, mediproxen, athenol, tactinal, midol, nortemp, acephen, tylophen, masophen, pharbetol, acetadrink, betatemp, silapap, and more. Additionally, there is a slew of toothache home remedies, some of which are listed below, though its effectiveness can’t be vouched for.
- Rinse mouth with a mixture of warm salt water (a spoonful in a small glass of warm water), spit out and repeat.
- Place a clove against the painful area until the pain subsides; or, use a couple of drops of clove oil, or concoct a thick paste of ground cloves and water or olive oil.
- Rinse mouth with a swig of whiskey, scotch, brandy, vodka, or a strong mouthwash containing alcohol.
- Soak a cotton ball with vanilla, almond, peppermint, or lemon extract and hold it in place against the painful area; or, dip a cotton swab in the extract.
- Rinse mouth with a bit of hydrogen peroxide, preferably watered down if you can’t stand the taste.
- Pour a couple of tea tree oil drops on a cotton swab and hold it against the painful area; or dip a cotton swab into the oil, or rinse mouth with a mixture of a few drops of the oil in a small glass of lukewarm water.
- Blend a few drops of oregano oil with a little olive oil and drench a cotton ball with the resulting mix. Lukewarm water may be used in lieu of the olive oil.
- Infuse a cotton ball with apple cider vinegar (or, failing that, regular household vinegar) and keep it in place.
- Chew a fresh piece of ginger root.
- Crush a clove of garlic and put it on the inside of the cheek.
- Masticate fresh peppermint leaves or hold dried leaves in place.
- Cut and peel a raw, fresh piece of potato and keep it in place; or, pound and mix a piece of raw potato with a bit of salt.
- Bite into a slice of lime to release the juice.
- Hold a sliced piece of fresh onion in your mouth.
- Hold a fresh slice of cucumber over the painful area.
Wrap a towel around an ice pack and hold it in place against the affected cheek. Conversely, a hot compress may be used as well.
Related Read: Is there pain relief for dogs?