Which are the best diabetic skin care tips?
Skin disorders are both a sign and a consequence of diabetes. Diabetes-related skin conditions can be prevented and treated with the following diabetic skin care tips, which are applicable for the general public too.
• Skin should be kept clean and dry, and areas where skin touches itself, like armpits and groin, should be administered talcum powder, in order to prevent fungus growth. Ideally, the skin should be not too dry that it cracks and becomes infection-prone, and not too moisturized that fungus develops.
• People with dry skin should avoid very hot or long baths and showers, as well as bubble baths, and use moisturizing soap, mild shampoos, and an after-bath standard skin lotion. Keep in mind, though, that there is such a thing as too much moisture, for example between the toes where additional humidity can lead to fungus growth.
• Do not scratch dry or itchy skin lest you open it up and allow an infection to occur. Apply moisturizer to prevent chapping, in particular in cold or windy weather (also apply lip balm, such as Medline Remedy Phytoplex Lip Balms, to chapped lips). Speaking of which, keep your home more humid and bathe less during the colder months. Moreover, use a room humidifier to lend moisture to indoor heated air when temperature drops.
• Conversely, wear sunscreen and a hat to protect your skin from sun exposure.
• Wash minor cuts immediately with soap and water and cover them with sterile gauze. Never clean skin with mercurochrome antiseptic, alcohol, or iodine. Major cuts, burns, and infections warrant prompt professional medical attention.
• Wash and check your feet everyday for sores and cuts, since an infection could develop there without you actually noticing it otherwise. Wear broad, flat shoes, or better yet, Invacare Supply Group diabetic shoes and socks, which you can find at Discount Medical Supplies. File corns and calluses down gently after ensuring that they aren’t infected.
• Drink a lot of water and other fluids to keep skin moisturized and healthy.
• Wear 100% cotton underwear to let air move around the body.
• If you have acne or are prone to it, choose a facial moisturizer together with your doctor, to avoid getting one that actually causes or worsens acne.
• Do not hesitate to contact your doctor if you encounter any skin problem that you can’t manage on your own.
Related Read: Assortment of Discount Diabetic Supplies